Sunday 30 April 2017

Wood Carvings - Riverside walk




Wood Carvings - Riverside walk





















                                                                                                                                                                 


Reflection 


I came across these carvings quite by chance, as I was walking by the riverside. Immediately I was taken aback by how they resemble a dismembered totem pole, the shapes of the carvings seem to have a primitive ritualistic dialogue. I was careful not to move the sections from there resting places as I felt it would be disrespectful. Traditionally myth has it that carved trees are used as talismans, which are said to posses magical powers. The gestural nature of these carving intrigue me,as I wonder where they came from. I would be open to using this technique within my own work, by collecting other natural materials and making my own set of carvings.



                                                                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment