Friday 11 May 2018

Blickling House notes and work







Research, development of ideas and experimentation #1
















Resulting artwork 







Reflection


From the start of this unit, I was already strongly bewitched by the beauty of Blickling Hall, the Jacobean mansion owned now its its entirety by the national trust. This is the very start to my investigation into making site-specific work that would couple together the history of the building with the fusion of contemporary art. From my hearing stories told by staff I began to be intrigued to start my own research into Blickling. After reading up on the past owners of Blickling, I realised that the house had only even been inherited through marriage. This certainly seemed like a strong starting point to begin to develop work, the piece above featuring a miniature bridal dress sinking into and old house brick is full of connotations, to do with women keeping the home, for her husband. As well as the saying 'I married you not the house' this keep connection with the appearance of the sculpture. The house brick provides a grave like space for the dress to fall into. The emptiness of the dress opens up the narrative for this to be a number of brides, all falling into there death bed; pretty as they may be. Although I believe this work has strong potential, I also feel that it needs to be edited and developed further, this could begin by taking the materials to Blickling Hall itself and playing around the arrangement and narratives it creates through placement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment