Friday 11 May 2018

P.V.A clothing dress, shorts and skirt

Before:



After:



























Reflection

I had this idea, it came to me on the coach on the way to Amsterdam when I was trying to explain to the person sitting next to me what I do within my practice as an artist, I was describing how objects such as clothing carry traces when I suddenly thought how buildings with traces of the past are memorialised, but could that be said for the clothing of the people who occupy them? Can a piece of clothing be through of as a building? They are both structures that are designed for people to inhabit. I started later to experience with this concept, by using different materials like plaster, P.V.A glue, and spray paint to begin to evolve the function of the object into something that was more fitting to memorialise the people that used to wear it. By coating the objects in these materials I am removing some of there individuality and making them a shroud of the person who used to wear them. The resulting objects are almost set in one position; which reminds me of the tragedy of the city of Pompeii, where the citizens were buried alive under molten lava. The work I have created here has a personal meaning for me as a used clothes that were heading to be thrown away by my sister, enriching the connotations of the work. To develop this work further I plan to experiment with more natural materials like stone, plasters, cement to name a few. I believe this will bring an element of weight with it that will link the sculptures future to ruins. I also feel as through the spray paint although it gave good coverage to the object, it failed to produce the stiffness you expect with decay. Thus leaving it in a state of limbo, which although interesting in it's own right is not what I was aiming to do in the terms of this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment