Monday 22 May 2017

Air and Dreams - Gaston Bachelard















 

                                                                                                                                               


One of the most complicated books I have ever attempted to read not only in the way of language but in the context, the author seems to expect you to be very familiar with anyone's work that could have possible informed any of his decisions or reasoning and refers back to them by fluttering from on example to the next, needless to say I didn't read the whole book. Criticism aside, there is a couple of useful things I managed to extract from this book."The value of an image is measured by the extent of its imaginary aura" - A concept that takes some thought, to me it suggests the imaginary being some mythic force that turns ordinary objects into something more, that therefore an object can only be whole if it leaves room for the viewers imagination to fill in the gaps, adding there own metaphors into the reading. In this way, I can begin to think about how this may relate back to my own practise, as I try and use magical objects, poetry and sound as tools to tell a narrative, to me there is more value in that way of working then there would be in painting a object in a photo-realistic style. As I often find myself being bored when looking at objects that answer there own questions. The injection of the imaginary is allowing a piece to tell its own story.

                                                                                                                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment