Thursday 25 May 2017

Sculpture Workshop Skills 3 (Part 2 and 3)
























                                                                                                                                                     


Reflection 

I started sculpture session with only a concept of the work I wanted to create, we were tasked with creating a sculptural piece in response to a location of our chose. I chose to use Fye Bridge as my location, as I had already conducted some research into its historical roots. I wanted to make something that would work off of the history of the place, I thought about what the bridge was used for both in past and present day. I came up with the idea of floating something in the water, that would have a symbolic tie to the actions carried out here way back in the past. As I discovered there was once a ducking stool here, where people had been submerged under the water, it was important to me to perform a opposite action to right some of the wrongs from the past. I started on a machete of hands that would float on the water, attached to a rope so that I could pull them up and save them. I had original planned to make these from a wire frame wrapped in canvas fabric, although it quickly proved to fiddly as the fabric frayed away quicker then I could sew it. I solved the problem by making a base from wire and wrapping masking tape around to form the hands. Finally I used modrock plaster which resembled bandages to coat and hold in place the forms. Using garden wire in a weed green colour I attached the hands to the rope and set about transporting the work to the location. Although I was asked to try any use every process in making this work, editing chose to better fit the feelings of location is an important skill as well, as it means you are considering the effects each materials has in the reading of a piece.


                                                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment