Thursday 25 May 2017

Worry Knot sculptural forms












                                                                                                                                                  

Reflection

I started using knots to make structural forms, I found that as I tied the knots I would forget about anything that was worrying me, or at least it would aid in calming me down a bit. The first knots I made I tried to print, after the mixed success of that, I concentrated on letting the knots grow and transform into any shape they wanted. The natural plant like roots are accidental but tie in well with reoccurring themes of nature that pop up through out my practice. I found making these tactile sculptures highly therapeutic, to the point where I would work on them night and day, whenever I had something on my mind. I often find myself having a highly obsessive personality, where I like to fixate on lots of mini projects until I run out of gas. I feel that by making these sculptural forms, I am channelling that energy into something constructive. The quality of the string is soft and when knotted resembles a bandage, it is suggestible then that I am using these knots to bandage myself together again. The term worry knot is a play on words that adds a sense of humour to the work. Mental health can often been seen as a serious subject, where a light hearted attitude is discouraged. But since laughter is said to be one of the best medicines, I feel that it is appropriate to laugh as it is part of the journey to wellness.


                                                                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment