Tuesday 23 May 2017

Shamanship and the Voice - Research Notes



















                                                                                                                                                            

Reflection

These pages concentrate on shamanic rituals and ceremonies. Whist looking into burials for shamanic practitioners I discovered that the symbolism behind the customs that took place at such events were key in understanding the culture. In one passage it states that the dead body of a shaman, would be hung from a tree at the top of a mountain, alongside his mirror and his drum. Mirrors were seen as portals, able to suppress or evoke spirits, whilst a shamans drum would be used to create a frequency. Sound was particular important to shamanic customs, it was said that since singing sounded like crying and therefore like mourning it was banded from day to day life, "If a mother caught her child humming, she would stop them, saying quite I am still alive". reserving it for burials, the people would sing and cry around a corpse. I find these customs strange as they are unfamiliar to me, however I am deeply intrigued to understand them better. I will do this by adding pieces of them into my own practise. This will hopefully allow me to link my work with my spiritual nature, creating a more rounded depth to my work.



                                                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment