Thursday 25 May 2017

Bronze Scrying Sculptures and Performance


Bronze Scrying Sculptures and Performance 














Performed by Emily Gardiner

                                                                                                                                                 

Reflection 


I was a little unsure as to how these sculptures would come out since I have never worked with bronze before, I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of the pieces. As I bashed the sculptures loose from the plaster, I noticed all the details of the work had remained in-tacked, which was critical for the work keeping its mirroring quality. I have had to sacrifice the original wax pieces to birth these bronze ones, by preserving the forms in bronze I am commenting on the worth of the prediction, affirming its truth.  After cleaning the pieces up, I began filing them down with power tools, until I got them to a finished state. There is something so tactile about bronze, the weight on your palm feels significant yet not overly heavy.  I chose to film the finished pieces being dropped into water, to unite them with there origins. The clang of the glass bowl once the pieces have fallen is ceremonial, like the ring of a bell. The ripples, and sound communicate the beginning of a ritual. As the water reflects the bronze, a phantom sculpture appears on the top of the water, this could be seen to suggest the spiritual side of the work hovering above it. 



                                                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment