Saturday 20 May 2017

Rune face 1 - Performance Piece










                                                                                                                                                 


Reflection 

Rituals and heritage have become key themes within my practice, which is why I act to combine them both within this performance piece. Pasting my face with a chocolate brown face pack, can be seen as cover or shroud that people often wore to communicate there grief. As I paint my face I am slowly retreating into a safe quite, reflective space that takes away part of my identity  and offers up a blank canvas. Carving symbols to create channels of communication with allies is a tradition harking back centuries, using runes to carve 'secret messages' directly contrasts with the openness and deliberate nature of this act, and conjures up phrase such as, 'of face value' and 'face facts'. Shining a spot light on things we usually try and keep out of view. The rune I carved are Berkana, (one of left cheek one on right side of my forehead), Symbolising, birth fertility and growth when it its original form and Loss of control, anxiety and deceit when reversed. Perth, (centre forehead)  symbolising mysteries and hidden uncertain things. Fehu, on the left hand side symbolising loss and finally Nauthiz on the right cheek symbolising, endurance determination and patience. I chose these Runes as they tell a story about how I life's journey thus far.
The mixture of sound, taken from a church service I went to, illustrates further the ceremonial ritualistic nature of this performance.



                                                                                                                                                  






No comments:

Post a Comment