Saturday 13 May 2017

stick ritual



Stick Ritual 

Throwing sticks into the river and watching them float down stream is a British pastime as old as time itself. I was curious to experience whether the nostalgia of throwing a stick can influence the experience, I myself have lots of happy memories as a child of throwing sticks into rivers with my family and racing them as far as the eye could see. This made me think about what throwing a stick represents, are you giving part of yourself away? Does the stick become a representation of you? Does it have a ritualistic connotation?  Is the material important, or can it be substituted? I found myself feeling lighter after throwing the stick away, as if I had burdened upon it all of life's tensions and stresses, and was now watching it, sailing away from me. A resurrection for the soul. 


No comments:

Post a Comment