Saturday 10 February 2018

Baby Doll - Crystal Growing Experiment













Reflection


One of my first attempts to produce salt crystals that turned out to be mostly a failure. I have suspended a broken porcelain baby doll arm in a salt water solution and was waiting for crystals to emerge, after a couple of weeks I noticed that they weren't growing as I hoped they might. On closer inspection, I noticed that the crystals were starting to grow on the inside of the arm. I found a sense of beauty about the way the crystals were purifying the inside of the wound. Although the wire had rusted what looked like burn marks on to the porcelain this only strengthened the metaphor reading about forgiveness and renewal. The way life could grow out of a wound is a very powerful message, I also discovered how string allows salt crystals to form a lot easier as the fibres soak up the salt water and allow the crystals to root down into the heart of the structure. I will keep developing the formula and attempt more salt water crystal interventions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment