Sunday 11 February 2018

Traces of past lives - Norwich Cathedral


Norwich Cathedral - Traces of past lives










Reflection


Whilst in Norwich Cathedral I noticed lots of words carved onto the walls in one of the chapel spaces, I started to think about the individuals that would have written on the walls and wondered if they believed that by writing on the walls there prays would be closer to god. Writing on a holy space, and actually etching the names of the sickly or dying person into the fabric of the building must have seemed at the time as the best way to cover that person with the favour of god almighty. Yet now the words seem ghostly, like one of the last traces that these people ever existed. The combination of here-but-gone I find interesting as there is something so tangible about these marks and yet so illusive. Which go to make the markings seem ambiguous, this is a quality I have been looking at within my practice as I investigate into the language of objects.  


No comments:

Post a Comment