Thursday 8 February 2018

DNA kits - uncovering my heritage


My Heritage 


I decided to look into my own ancestral heritage in order to get a clearer picture of the role it plays in making up my identity. I have heard from my parents that I have an Scottish, Irish and welsh ancestral make-up, but I cant help to wonder what else lays beneath the surface. It feels like my flesh is hiding a secret from me and I have no idea what it could be, maybe I will discover part of me is from the other side of the world. This is relevant to my practice as identity and narrative are strong themes within my work, I hope that these results will transform the way I think about my own heritage and sense of belonging.










Results 



Before opening my DNA results I felt nervous about finding out who I really am, as though up to this point I have never truly known myself. The biggest surprise was that I am not English, not at all. My DNA is of viking/Celtic decent with elements of Italian, Iberian and west Asian. The west Asian is most likely from my grandpas gene pool, I would be interested in finding of most about that side of my family as it seems to be more mysterious and unknown. The viking/Scandinavian  and the Irish, Scottish and Welsh side of my heritage is the side I feel most connected to as that is the reflected through my skin, eye, hair colour. Since this face is the face I have been bonded to my entire life, it is easy to feel a stronger connection to my Celtic/viking ancestors as features from that line are easier noticeable in my genetic make-up. I will now begin to consider how I might use this information in the work that I carry out in the future. Since It is a lot of information to process all at once, I will let the ideas bubble around in the back of my mind for a while, until I know where to go form here.



No comments:

Post a Comment