Sunday 11 February 2018

Marcel Duchamp - Research




Marcel Duchamp - Meat Grinders, Coffee Mill







Reflection


After being advised to look into the coffee/Meat grinder pieces by Marcel Duchamp I looked but couldn't much about it, or at least nothing I would describe as useful. To that end I will write about what my fascination is with Meat Grinders. Meat Grinder are in my mind like the Pit-Ball's of the kitchen; dangerous in the wrong hands. There is a juxtaposition between the domestic nature of the kitchen, the place a meat grinder would think of as its home, and the object itself, which is hard, metallic and aggressive in its nature. The meat grinder is a symbol of hard-work and determination, which when taken out of its natural environment gives off a wealth of narrative readings about kitchen processes, and war time behaviour. By employing meat grinders within my work I start to play with the juxtaposition of narrative behind the object. 


                                                                                                                                                   

Sources




No comments:

Post a Comment