Tuesday 13 February 2018

The dialects of seeing - Research



















Reflection

Since this is a library copy I couldn't highlight it in the same way I have done throughout the rest of my research, however I will reflected on what I thought was useful about this book. Firstly let me start by stating that on a first read I don't think that I have completely understood all that Benjamin is discussing, mainly because he talks in such a roundabout way. What I did find interesting though was when we stated that 'children instinctively mimic objects as a means of mastering their experimental world'.  The closer I examine that statement the more I find it to be correct, through the eyes of a child the world and everything in it seems abstract. By mimicking the object a child begins to test the boundaries and limitations of that world, experimenting until they find their place within its structure. Benjamin goes on to discuss mythical nature, where he writes about the object changing its shape and nature, he goes on to remark that "The technological capacity to produce must be mediated by the utopias capacity to dream - and vice-versa" . This give and take, mirrors some of the thoughts I was considering about the way of the object. Overall I didn't find the text very accessible, though so I will try to re-read parts of it to gain better clarity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment