Saturday 10 February 2018

Salt crystal growth on functional object 'icons' -Experimentation



Salt Crystal Growth on Function Object Icons 





































Reflection


The next thing I attempted on the salt water front was taking icons of function objects and wrapping them in string to bind in the essence of the object, and contain the inherent  associations that the objects convey about housework and servitude. As I wrapped the objects I felt like I was taking away something from them even as icons there function seemed to be missing. Whilst in the salt water they appeared to be in an incubation chamber and in the process of metamorphosis. Once fully developed I lifted out the forms to discover hundreds of little newly growing crystals that in some lights resembled teeth. After putting  the crystals back in the salt water however, the salt crystals started to flake away over the next few days. I then placed them all in a larger shared container and watched as the crystals started to reform. Due to the proximity of the objects the crystals started to bind the objects to each other and even to the bowl itself. I feel that the charge these objects were carrying has been reset due to the ritualistic salt water bath they were made to undergo. This is an important concept within my practice, as the charge of an objects goes a long way in interpreting its feel, and to that end effects the way it can be displayed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment