Friday 16 February 2018

Unmonumental - The object in the 21st century


















Reflection

I rented out this book to get some ideas about how to lay-out and display the objects within my own exhibition. I found it to be an exciting read, as it made me question the ways of evoking an reaction without being to over dramatic. A lot of the simper understated pieces here, work more effectively then some of there giant competitors. I feel this is due to the language of display, as these object leave questions still to be answers so that the viewer feels as though they can add some of their own interpretation onto the work. The decaying exterior is another way to generate multiple readings, as the context of the work hovers between time periods, its ambiguous form and how the work relates to language. I was particular inspired by the work of Mathew Monhanan, who carefully positions objects to act as narratives or words. When I look at his work I feel as though I am literally reading a book due to the descriptive qualities of the materials he employs. The metaphorical juxtaposition of objects is a key to how I want my own exhibition to read, with the placement and essence of each objects being to the feeling of the whole space, I will be sure to bare these things in mind when curating an assembling my own show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment