Thursday 8 February 2018

The object - book scans - Research







Reflection

I really enjoyed this book, It accessible and introduces itself  concepts to you slowly. The introduction pictured above is what I will be reflecting on here, however I have annotated other essays on my physical copy of the book. What I really found thought provoking about this book is the starting debate about the difference between an object and a thing. I have spent some time debating this in my mind, and to my understanding functionality must be the key to this puzzle. All things are objects are things, for example. A object has been designed for a specific purpose, i.e a colander has been designed to allow the water to drain from your food separating (as much as possible). In that way it has an inherent function. But that's not to say that anything couldn't also be used as a colander, a piece of paper could act in a similar way. However, it has not been skillfully designed to do that job. Therefore a thing is a item with a swap-able function and an object is an item with an inherit or designed function. Similarly the narrative of the object speaks up in this debate, If a thing has been doing the job of an object, would it absorb some of the objectiveness by its narrative? I will be investigating more into the heart of the object and reflecting upon the narratives that have been taken form it and how they might be used to create a dialogue between objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment