Tuesday 13 February 2018

Interim exhibition - Artist - Clothing prints


Interim Show


'The work that I have selected for the interim exhibition, focuses on myth and narrative, derived from a series of lost and found objects. I have experimented with both positive and negative prints to convey a ghost-like trace or presence. This series of images looks at the essence that makes up an individual and channels their identity through their belongings. By using objects from unknown origins, I invite the viewer to attempt to resolve these mysterious poetic forms. Throughout my practice in general, the concept of exchange, ritual and heritage have been intrinsic within my making, as I venture to protected or preserve the essence of an object though the passing of time.' - Emily Gardiner 








Reflection

I found the process of exhibiting for the interim exhibition to be mostly enjoyable, after giving a short presentation about my practice I waited to hear back from the curators about what work they wanted me to exhibit, after a while I was sent a proposal form, which asked for information about the type of work I wanted to show, and dimensions, theme and title (if there was one). I sent it back, received a thank you then didn't hear anything more until a few days before the show when I was sent an email asking me to write out a personal statement. On the day, I went in to hand my work over and bring in the magnets and pins so my work could be hung up without damaging the paper. Later that same day I went to see how my work had been put up, and I was a little taken back. My work had been split into two groups on different sides of the space, so far away in fact that they could look like work from other people. I also noticed they didn't follow my plan as to how I wanted the work to be displayed, which would have been fair enough if I hadn't had to write out a detailed proposal work regarding how I wanted the work to be displayed. I found there to be many mixed messages but I suppose that comes from working in such large groups. I don't feel like there was anything I could do differently If I was asked to exhibit again, as I merely jumped through all the hops they asked me to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment