Wednesday 7 February 2018

Clay forms experimentation's #2




Clay Forms Experimentation #2















                                                                                                                                      




Reflection 





In the making of these objects I had only one objective to create something that is enjoyable to touch, this tactile object must fit well in the hand and if not complete able to do so, show marks, and traces of where the hand has been. These indentations inspiring a narratives to be conjured up from the depths of our imaginations as explanations of the things appearance. The smoothness on the surface of these clay objects has been the result of being smoothed repeated by my fingertips, this action transforms these items into relics of a moment of care and delicate craftsmanship. After making this series of sculptures I decided that they were so beautiful that I should use them as markers in my journey as I walk some of the Boudicca way. A ancient pathway marked from Norwich to Diss where it is claimed that Boudicca herself lead her tribes people as they travelled towards a new settlement. The thought of retracing some of these historical steps through the use of contemporary art is intrinsically to my practise as I look at uncovering moments from the past and re-examining them through 21st Century lenses. Through this walk I will lay down these clay object in a sacrificial way, anointing them with a solution of woad (an natural dye used widely in Britain especially Norfolk for thousands of years) as a tie between the ages. 




No comments:

Post a Comment