Wednesday 7 February 2018

Clay Experimentation's #1




Clay Experimentation #1



 Before:



After:









                                                                                                                                        

Reflection

These works started as nothing more then meaningful play, although as the forms developed they rather quickly took on the appearance of shell like objects that I would hold up to my ear and listen to the sound of the air circulating emulating the ocean waves. I wanted to explore some different processes on them so I dunked them in a mixture of  herculite and Iron fillings to obtain a aged weathered look, by spraying them with water I managed to get the iron to develop faster then it would have done naturally.
Unfortunately this only made the objects weaker, and unstable eventually starting to form cracks, and fall apart. As the objects began to disintegrate I was hit with the poetic connotations of trying to raise ones self only to eventually become weaker and die. I thought it would be interesting then to offer these objects back to the land as I believe is the order of things, which were born from the earth to come back into the earth, clay being one of those things, and placed them alongside other rocks and flints disguising them from view. 


No comments:

Post a Comment