Saturday 10 February 2018

A friendship - Salt Crystal Experimentation



A Friendship 





Reflection


Continuing my thinking about the narrative within objects, I found an earring that belonged to my childhood best friend. As I held it I started thinking about the good times we once shared together. This earring now a relic from a night out we went on, felt strange to me. How the object could hold such a deep narrative, more then just the night out but compacted within its structure the narrative of our whole friendship. Trying to hold on to that moment and not held it degrade I encases it in a salt water solution to hold its story. The interesting thing about salt water is how it can preserve somethings and yet speed up the degrading of another. Due to the nature of the metal it is made from this earring will begin to rust however this sacrifice seems to tell more of a story within itself. Nothing lasts forever, and the tighter you try and hold something the more likely it is to degrade faster. This story adds another layer to the piece . 


No comments:

Post a Comment