Saturday 10 February 2018

Exhibition in PS1


Photos taken form exhibition is PS1







Reflection


Upon seeing this exhibition I immediately thought of its links to the work of Sophie Call and her piece 'The Birthing Ceremony' a work that I have been researching to contextualise my own practice. What I found challenging about this work here was the way the contents of the cabinet were spilling out of the sides. This broke the language of display and entered into the realm of the in-between and started the work to start to speak the language of sculpture. The challenging nature of this work at first glance made me feel uncomfortable. However the more I looked at it the more I wanted to understand it and make friends with it. The objects themselves within this exhibition seemed to to be keepsakes, this in turn made the work have a vulnerability about it. The intimate belongings now being put on a shelf for judgement caused me to want to read them in a sentimental way rather then a factual way.
The coat stand sculpture was obviously a play on words or forms at least, as now the coat itself holds up the coat stand. I felt uncomfortable around this piece as I had a sense that there was an invisible body within the coat that had suffered an injury and now was after revenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment